Central Indiana Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics
Follow us on Facebook at @CentralINAcademy for great pictures and posts
Membership applications are available for the coming year.
There is an option to join online or via traditional paper applications.
Membership is open to AND members and Dietetic students/interns.
The normal membership window for joining the Central Indiana Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (CIAND) has closed. However, we would be happy to review options for partial year memberships. For membership information, please contact Kate Beard, MA, RDN, CSP, LD – CIAND Treasurer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Continuing Education Opportunities: Fall, 2021
Continuing Education Opportunities: Spring, 2021
National Nutrition Month:
**IMPORTANT LINKS & DETAILS**
Social Media Highlights
- CIAND Social Media Pages
- Each CIAND member who is a new follower during the month of March will be entered into a drawing for the chance to win a $25 gift card to either the Indy Winter Farmers Market or Market Wagon!
- Click HEREto submit your suggestions for social media pages to highlight that are run by CIAND members and/or dietitians, dietetic interns, or nutrition students in Central Indiana.
Cultural Food Challenge
- “Personalize Your Plate” this month and get familiar with a whole new world of flavors and cuisines! Check out the International Marketplace Coalition’s “Passport to Indy’s Best Global Cuisine” for ideas on local restaurants, grocery stores, and sweet shops to visit – or explore your town or neighborhood for even more options close to home!
- Each time you make a recipe at home or order a dish at a restaurant that represents a unique food culture, snap a picture, upload it to your social media pages with a caption describing what you tried –don’t forget to tag CIAND in the photo (see handles above)! You can also email your pictures to Sarah Wilson (email@example.com) if you prefer that route.
- Each photo shared = one entry into a prize drawing! One winner will be randomly selected for a $25 gift card!
Virtual Day at the Statehouse – March 3rd, 2021
- IAND hosts a Day at the Statehouse each year to meet with legislators to discuss and promote the importance of the RDN and pertinent legislation to improve the health of Hoosiers through food and nutrition.
- Three webinars will be offered from 9:00-11:55 am and will provide 3 CEUs free of charge. After the morning sessions, members and students from each district will have the opportunity to virtually meet with local legislators to.
Virtual Cooking Class – March 10th, 2021 – 6:30-7:30 pm
- We are excited to present aFREE virtual cooking class with Chef Jeff Bricker, Department Chair of Hospitality Administration at Ivy Tech Community College and owner of Brick House dressings. Chef Bricker will discuss creative ways to make veggies more appealing for your clients, patients, or even family members who may struggle to eat enough of these nutrient-dense foods.
- Click HEREto register for this class.
- All attendees will receive a FREE bottle of Brick House all-natural dressing (check out their impressive nutrition labels), and one lucky participant will be selected to win a $25 gift card!
Volunteer at Gleaners – March 18th, 2021 – 4:30-7:30 pm
- Gleaners Food Bank has seen the number of clients seeking food assistance increase2-4 times since COVID-19 hit. Volunteers play a crucial role in meeting this increased need, so we invite you to join us for a fun and active way of giving back!
- Duties will include loading cars with boxes of food ordirecting traffic through the drive-thru pantry, and strict health and safety protocols will be followed.
- One lucky participant will be selected to win a $25 gift card!
- Please registerprior to volunteering using our group’s unique link: gleaners.volunteerhub.com.
- Click the link aboveand then click on the blue “Sign Up” button next to the 4:30 pm Food Pantry Evening Shift. If you already have a VolunteerHub account, you will be able to log in to complete your registration. If you do not have an account, you will be prompted to create one, which should only take about 3-5 minutes.
- For more detailed instructions, please see the attached document: “How to Use VolunteerHub”.
- Please register and sign up for the shift by Thursday, March 11th. After this date, any unfilled spots will be opened up for any available volunteer to sign up. You can still register, but remaining spaces will be available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- More details about what to wear, where to park, what time to arrive, and important health and safety information will be provided upon registration.
Questions? Contact Sarah Wilson, NNM Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Other March Events:
March 16th 6-7:30pm: Owning Your Online Presence: LinkedIn 101
Sign Up Here: https://forms.gle/YFmiePTqNKYZ5e7PA
Currently only $25!
To Join Sign Up Here: https://www.eatrightin.org/find-your-district/ciand/ciand-membership-form/
CIAND c0-hosted an event with SEIAND welcoming Jessica Isaacs, RD, CSSD and currently the UCLA MBB and WBB performance dietitian to discuss healthy eating patterns and habits for athletes! Jessica is a Purdue grad who completed her DI in the INdianapolis area!
Chrissy ARsenault, MBA, RD, LD presented to us on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion! We loved learning about how to more inclusin in our teachings as nutrition professionals!
Scholarships & Awards
We gave out two scholarships this December to member RDs to attend continuing education activities/conferences in their field! Student members – your turn is coming in April! Two RD scholarships for $200 each. Apply by November 15!
Past Meetings and Newsletters
September 2020- Kick Off!
COVID 19 Panel
Thank you to Kate Farms, Heartland Product Group and Sun Butter for their donations to our goodie boxes! We had a COVID Panel for our September Meeting including an IU Health Hospital food service RD, an IPS food service RD, a renal RD, a long term care RD, and the methodist ICU RD.
Soul Fusion Yoga and Intuitive Eating Presentation
A huge than-you to local RD and CPT Katie Hake for presenting to us! We had a great little 30 minute yoga session, followed by an hour long presentation on intuitive eating!
We had a wonderful presentation about the platform Practice Better which is great for RD’s in private practice to keep notes and handle billing all in one place.
RD Mentor Program
Partner with a student to provide a connection to the field of dietetics
- October 2020 Board meeting minutes
- Budget 2021-21
- August 2020 Board meeting minutes
- July 2020 Board meeting minutes
- January 2020 Board meeting minutes
- October 2019 Board meeting minutes
- August 2019 Board meeting minutes
- July 2019 Board meeting minutes
- CIAND Budget, 2019-2020
|President||Jenna Defore, MBA, RDemail@example.com|
|Past President||Kasey Voeller, RDN, LDfirstname.lastname@example.org
|President- Elect||Jessica Oakes, RDN, LD||href="mailto:email@example.com">firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Secretary||Karen Emminger, RDemail@example.com|
|Treasurer||Kate Beard, MA, RDN, CSP, LDfirstname.lastname@example.org
|CPI||Katy Maher, MPH, RDNemail@example.com|
|CPI-Elect||Julianne Hadley, RDN, LDfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Nominating Committee||Sarah Wilson, RDN|
Michaela Stemle, RD, LD
|Scholarship Chair||Erin Marie L, Sills, MBA, RD, LDemail@example.com|
|Social Media Chair|
|Newsletter Editor||Kate Beard, MA, RDN, CSP, CDfirstname.lastname@example.org|